Monday 24 June 2013

SHE looked AT me ACROSS the...

... dining-room table, her name, written in felt pen on a sticky label, that peeled and curled like a dying leaf on her lapel. In front of us lay plates filled with lunchtime fare and the corporate clattering chatter of a corporate building, boxy, concrete and glass and ugly in its sterility.

Outside the sea rose and fell in thick grey slabs upon the shingle and the sky was low and restless. A small knot of people were sheltering under the iron work of the pier and a gull hung upon the wind.

We talked about the papers we'd heard. We politely laughed in the way that two strangers laugh together. Her eyes were as bright as forget-me-nots and her relaxed smile enchanting. She told me of the session she had just run, how, at the end, some of the people attending cried. She was touched, but not surprised. She then told me about the times she had cried and I could read each tear in every line of her face.

After awhile, she looked up and smiled and asked me my name.

I looked at that smile and into those eyes and with an ice-cold realisation I understood two unshakeable truths:

1. I had no idea what my name was.

2. That the next (perhaps last) stage of my life would be to find it...

10 comments:

  1. How sweet! has thou found love or at the very least glimpsed its sweet obsession?

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha No, not love in the romantic sense (I am very, VERY happily married), but it was one of those encounters when someone touches deep into the soul and there is a profound unlocking of some realisation.

      Delete
  2. A moment in time, so eloquent and profound. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mandy - yes a life-turning moment.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. Please pass on to him my love and my sincerest and warmest good wishes, and that I hope that he will soon be well again

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a pleasure to read another Blog from you, Richard. I love the way in which you connect your inner & outer life, an encounter with a stranger & the call to a new journey of discovery. I love your openness to the Other. I have never seen you erect defences against anyone. That is why it is such a joy to work with you. You bring the same quality to a lecture that you have brought to this beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephen. The Other seems to be a magnet to my life!

      Delete
  5. Richard..powerful leader

    names fascinate me. do we grow into the name we were bestowed with upon birth, or is there another truer name that we each possess carved in our bones..not just a word that someone somewhere gave meaning to, but a thing of power in some ways, that could bring forth the manifestation of a person's real identity...


    who are you?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've often thought that too. I am not sure, but it was a real realisation of the latter that struck me on that lunchtime and that a simple question about 'who I am' and I couldn't answer it... written down, it all sounds a bit daft, but I know that if anyone can get near to understanding what I am trying (failing) to articulate, it'll be you! ;)

      Delete

For your voice is important... and words that are shared grow wings.